The National Facility, and the associated Engineering Projects Group Mechanical Design Office, undertake a range of R&D, design and manufacturing projects under contract to external organisations (often under terms of non-disclosure); also projects supported by the Public Sector. Examples of recent or current projects include:-
- Phase 1 and 2 commissioned studies into metre+ scale light-weight carbon-fibre mirrors for an industrial application.
- Optical test facilities - this includes the design and commissioning of optical test systems for a wide range of products.
- Support Systems for large optics - Various sizes up to 4 metre diameter
- High precision actuation - Actuation to 100nm of optical components weighing 200kgs
- Design of Optical Instrumentation for a wide range of applications including machine vision, and scientific instruments.
- Research into advanced tool-paths for CNC polishing
- Design of light-weighted optics for airborne and ground based applications.
- Design of vacuum and cryogenic equipment.
- On-site commissioning, maintenance and upgrades of customers’ systems.