The Scope of the National Facility is to:-
- Conduct original R&D in advanced design, manufacture and metrology of optical and related surfaces, using state-of-the-art equipment, processes and software
- Develop relevant instrumentation systems and sub-systems.
- Exploit the capability by providing a bespoke prototyping and small-volume manufacturing service to underpin the UK Science Base, and serve national and international academic, government and industrial organisations
- Provide a ‘problem-solving’ capability for industry and science
- License R&D outputs to industry where appropriate
- Provide an effective environment for postgraduate teaching through original research in challenging projects
- Provide an effective environment for training apprentices and other skilled staff
- Establish links with other relevant academic institutions world-wide through visits, conferences, joint-projects and visiting scholars
- Disseminate the works of the Facility within academia, science, to the general public and to schools and to government.